HUGO ROBUS TABLE LAMP
Silas Snider & Co., New York, 1945
Bronze base: Height: 19”, X 11” X 6.75” (at pedestal) with Mica shade, Height: 32.75”
Born and raised in Cleveland, Hugo Robus (1885 – 1964) attended the Cleveland School of Art from 1903 to 1907. There he studied painting under Henry G. Keller. After leaving Cleveland for New York, Robus continued his studies at the National Academy of Design from 1907 to 1909, at which point he traveled to Paris where he saw the 1912 Futurist exhibition at the Galerie Bernheim-Jeune. He began painting in the Cubist and Futurist styles when he returned to New York in 1915. By 1920, Robus was concentrating on making the modernist sculptures that would establish his reputation and dominate his creative output until he died.
Robus sculptures are in the permanent collections of The Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Cleveland Museum of Art, Hirschhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Whitney Museum of American Art, Allentown Art Museum, Museum of Modern Art, and the Columbus Museum of Art among others.
Silas Snider & Co., New York, produced a series of artist-designed bronze lamps in 1945. The Robus edition was limited to 1000. The last owner purchased this example new in 1945. The bronze patina is original and in very good condition. The frame of the lampshade is original with a later covering of mica.